- TORTILLA SHELLS:
- 6 Large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil for frying
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- 2 cups Strawberries
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon Water
- CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 8 oz Cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- TO MAKE TORTILLA SHELLS – Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside. Cut tortillas with 3.5-4 inch circle cutter. You´ll need 30 tortilla circles. Meanwhile, heat an inch of oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot use tongs to put tortilla circles in it and fry them for 4-5 sec, then turn the other side and fold in half, using tongs to make the shape of a shell.
- Then fry for few more seconds (until it gets golden brown), turn the other side and fry until it also gets golden brown, too. When tortillas are done, take them out and immediately put in a bowl with light brown sugar and cinnamon, coat them well. Next, place tortilla shells in an upside down muffin tin and repeat the same with the remaining tortillas.
- TO PREPARE STRAWBERRU SAUCE – Start by washing, cleaning and cutting strawberries in quarters, then put them in a medium pan along with sugar and lemon juice. Stir well and cook at medium – high heat for about 4- 5 min.
- While the strawberries are being cooked, combine cornstarch and water in a small dish and pour in the pan with strawberries, stirring and cooking until it thickens. When the sauce is ready, remove it from heat and leave to cool, at a room temperature.
- TO PREPARE CHEESECAKE FILLING – beat heavy whipping cream in a large dish, until stiff peaks form and set aside. In a separate dish, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until it gets smooth, then add vanilla and continue beating until it´s combined. Fold in whipped cream.
- Put cheesecake filling in a piping bag, and cut the top and fill tortilla shells. Make
sure tortilla shells are completely cooled before you start filling them. Finally, top with strawberry sauce of a room temperature.
- Keep the dessert refrigerated and serve cold. Try not to fry tortilla too much, only until they are golden brown, because if you fry them too much, they won´t get coated well when you place them in a sugar-cinnamon mixture.
It´s also important to coat them as soon as you take them out of the oil, until they´re still hot, using a spoon.