Back to Top
FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened & cubed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
FOR ASSEMBLING THE PIES:
- Add dry ingredients for crust to large bowl. Cut in butter and cream cheese using two forks or a pastry cutter. Do not allow mixture to melt or become warm. Alternately, you can combine all crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse for 1 minute or until a dough begins to form.
- Cut dough in half. On a lightly floured surface roll out each dough portion then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough disks for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- Roll out each portion of dough to 1/8” thickness. Use a 2 3/4” round cookie cutter to cut out 40 circles. Make an X in the center of 20 of the cut outs, leaving plenty of space at the edges.
- In a medium bowl combine butter, brown sugar, pecans, vanilla, and salt until blended. Arrange cut outs without X on baking sheets.
- Place roughly 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of the dough rounds without a slit. Leave at least 1/ 4” border along the edge of each one. Place X pie tops on top of filling and seal to the bottom dough using a fork pressed gently along the edges.
- Whisk egg and water in a small bowl and brush each mini pie with egg mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pies are golden brown. Allow to cool on wire rack before serving.