Back to Top
FOR THE BREAD DOUGH
- 3 ½ cups bread flour (all-purpose is ok)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 ¼ tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup craisins or dried cherries
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
FOR THE CROSS
- ½ cup room temperature water
- ⅔ cup flour
FOR THE GLAZE
- ¼ cup apricot jam or orange marmalade
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, instant yeast, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Stir until dough comes together; note: it will be sticky.
- Generously flour a clean work surface and turn the dough onto the prepared area. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and stretchy, no more than 5 minutes (you don’t want to overwork the dough).
- Place the ball of dough into an oiled bowl and clever with plastic wrap. Set aside for 1 hour.
- After an hour, add the zest, dried fruit, and spices. Knead in the bowl to incorporate the ingredients. Cover again with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour.
- Place the dough onto a clean work surface. Divide into approximately 15 even pieces. Roll the pieces into a ball. Place onto a half-sheet pan lined with wax paper. Cover again with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare the cross by mixing flour with water, 1 tablespoon at a time up to 5 tablespoons of water until thick paste forms.
- Gently with a knife or a pastry scraper, impress a cross into each roll. Pipe the flour mixture into this impression to create the cross.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops of the buns are golden brown.
- Let the buns cool slightly before applying the glaze. To glaze, microwave the jam until just liquified. Brush the jam-glaze over top of each bun. Enjoy!