- 2 pounds Kielbasa cut into coins about 3/4″ to 1″ thick
- 1 pound Sauerkraut drained and/or rinsed based on personal preference
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Koshor salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a cast iron skillet brown pieces of sausage and then set aside.
- Add sauerkraut to empty skillet and season with brown sugar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. On medium high heat warm sauerkraut until it begins to brown off and dry out just a little bit.
- Return sausage to the skillet on top of sauerkraut. Cover skillet and allow to simmer for 5 – 10 minutes until sausages are heated through.
- Read the label to ensure sausage is smoked and pre-cooked.
- If sausage is raw cook fully before using in this recipe
- If you love the vinegary flavor of sauerkraut do not drain or rinse
- Draining and rinsing sauerkraut are each steps that minimize the sauerkraut flavor and are a personal preference
- Can add chicken broth to sauerkraut at the end if it’s too dried out for your taste preferences
- Preheat skillet before adding sausage to get a nice brown sear. Heating meat slowly as the skillet heats up will not produce the more savory flavor and browned meat.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Calories: 523kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 2214mg | Potassium: 487mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 3mg