Back to Top
- 5 tbsp butter – divided
- 3 large carrots – chopped
- 3 stalks celery – chopped
- 1 yellow onion – diced
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 russet potatoes – peeled and cut into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes
- 1 celery root – peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium heads broccoli – chopped into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower – chopped into florets
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cup milk – 1%, 2%, or whole
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 cup medium cheddar cheese – OR sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pot over set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted, add the carrots, celery and onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a minute longer.
- Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, celery root, thyme, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (or until the potatoes are almost tender).
- Stir in the broccoli and cauliflower, cook for 5-7 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook, whisking constantly for about a minute. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking vigorously as you add the milk little by little. Whisk until smooth. Constantly whisk as the mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- When it begins to thicken add the half & half, then remove from heat and pour into the soup (after the veggies are fully cooked). Stir everything together, then turn the heat off.
- Gradually add the cheddar, stirring until the soup is nice and smooth.