- 1 loaf buttered garlic bread cut into 1-inch-thick slices (you will have some leftover)
- 1 lb. frozen cooked meatballs thawed
- 8 oz. cream cheese very softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 28 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a greased 9 x 13 pan, arrange the sliced garlic bread in a single layer, buttered side up; set aside.(If you are using plain French or Italian bread, butter each slice and sprinkle with just a smidge of garlic powder, if desired.)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the meatballs, browning them a bit on each side, allowing them to render their fats somewhat; drain any fats that accumulate.Add the marinara sauce to the meatballs, along with the water; bring to a gentle simmer, then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese with the mayonnaise, and Italian seasoning; gently spread this mixture over the sliced bread in the casserole dish; sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Spread the marinara/meatball mixture over the cream cheese layer; sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.Bake the casserole, uncovered, on the center rack of the oven, for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly throughout and golden brown on top. Serve at once.Don’t over bake; this can cause the bread on the bottom of the casserole to become tough and chewy.
Course: Main CourseCuisine: ItalianKeyword: beef meatball recipes, ground beef casserole, how to make meatball subs from scratch, meatball casserole, meatball recipes
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 947mg | Potassium: 505mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 856IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 179mg | Iron: 3mg