Apple Fritters – deep fried homemade dessert filled with apples, cinnamon and coated in cinnamon sugar or covered with sweet glaze…you just can’t get enough of them!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- dash salt
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon depending on how much you love cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk plus more if needed
- 1 1/2 cups apples honey crisp or granny smith, peeled, cored and diced into peanut sized or smaller
- oil for frying
Topping Option ( Cinnamon Sugar)
- 1/2 cup Cinnamon sugar
Topping Option ( Sugar Glaze)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk or more
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add milk, egg, butter and vanilla.
- Stir just to combine, but not overly beat,gently fold in apple pieces. The batter should be the consistency of a light cake mix.
- Fill a frying pan halfway with oil. Once the oil is ready, (until the oil reaches around 365°F with a candy thermometer or when a test drop of dough floats to the top of the oil)
- Using a cookie scooper or soup spoon, drop about 1/4 cup of batter per fritter into hot oil, spreading it out as you drop.
- Place a 4-5 balls of dough into the oil at a time. Be careful not to overcrowd. Cook each side until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Adjust cooking times based on size of fritters and temperature of your oil. It is always a good idea to test one to ensure it comes out like you are expecting. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Toss with cinnamon sugar while still warm and your choice of ice cream and topping.
- Or whisk together milk, powdered sugar and vanilla. Dunk each fritters in the glaze turning over to make sure both sides coated. Place on wire racks to air dry and drip.