Soft chewy sweet coconut macaroons are the perfect gluten-free cookie. How to make the perfect coconut macaroons dipped in dark chocolate.
- (1) 14-ounce bag Sweetened Coconut Flakes (5 cups — such as Baker’s Angel Flake Sweetened Coconut)
- 3/4 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Egg Whites (beaten until stiff peaks form)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 12 ounces Dark or Semisweet Chocolate Wafers or Bar (melted — OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper sheets.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together coconut, sweetened condensed milk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Once they are formed, fold egg whites into the coconut mixture, making sure to fully fold the egg whites into the coconut.
- Using two spoons or an ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of the coconut mixture and place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. If you don’t have parchemnt paper, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes. Watch carefully as the bottoms can become too browned. Remove from the oven and let setup for about 2 minutes. Carefully remove and place on cooling rack.
- If dipping into chocolate, place the chocolate in microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments until melted. Carefully pick up each macaroon, and dip the bottom into the melted dark chocolate. Place on a cooling rack or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let set up and cool.