- 1 1/4 cup white rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 12 oz pkg smoked sausage
- 1/2 red bell pepper – sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper – sliced
- 1 small white onion – quartered and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth – divided
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp parsley – chopped
- In a small saucepan, cook rice according to the package’s directions.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. After the oil shimmers, add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion, saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Add the tomato paste and about 3/4 cup of chicken broth, whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute, then add the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in the cooked rice, sausage, remaining chicken broth, pepper and onions until combined. Garnish with chopped parsley, serve immediately.
-For an “Italian” version, use Italian sausage + 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning-For a “Cajun” version, use andouille sausage + 1/2 tsp. cajun seasoning
Serving: 6g | Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 799mg | Potassium: 405mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 818IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg