Back to Top
- 5 1/2 cups chicken, boiled until tender and shredded
- 6 cups broccoli florets, steamed until tender (not mushy)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. curry powder
- 1/3 cup unbleached white flour
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 3/4 c. mayonnaise
- 2-4 c. cheddar cheese
- Layer the chicken and the broccoli.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter. Add 1 large roughly chopped onion. Saute` until onions are soft.
- Sprinkle the pepper, salt, curry powder and flour over the onions.
- Whisk and cook for one minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Pour in chicken broth, one cup at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in milk and 3/4 cup mayonnaise. Cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, as much or little as you like.
- If you’re planning on freezing this meal, let it cool completely before you top with cheese and freeze.
- To bake: Thaw meal if frozen. Cover loosely with foil bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese is golden and casserole is bubbling.