- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 15 oz can no salt tomato sauce
- 28 oz can no salt diced tomatoes (or no salt Ro-Tel)
- 2 cups Campbell’s No Salt Added Chicken Broth
- 1/2-1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2-1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 oz dry macaroni
- 8 tbsp shredded Swiss & Gruyere cheese
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Place the oil in a large pot and heat over a medium heat.
2. When oil is hot, add the onion and peppers to the pot, stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until they are tender.
3. Add the red pepper flakes and the minced garlic to the mix and continue to cook for a minute or two longer.
4. Add the ground beef to the pot, break up large pieces as it cooks and browns. Cook until no pinkness remains.
5. Add the tomato sauce, diced canned tomatoes, chicken broth and spices (this is quite spicy if you use the full tablespoon) to the pan, stir to make sure all is mixed well. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Add macaroni to the pot, mix well, cover and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Continue to cook until pasta is al dente. If the mixture becomes too thick, add some more broth.
7. Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove. Divide into 8 portions. Sprinkle each portion with a tablespoon of shredded cheese.
8. Season to taste and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Equipment needed to make this recipe: large pot, spatula or large spoon, can opener, measuring cups and spoons, scales, bowls for serving
Makes 8 generous 1 cup servings, each serving has 102mg sodium