- 2 CUPS MEDIUM SHELLS
- 1 SMALL WHITE ONION DICED
- 3 CLOVES GARLIC MINCED
- 1-2 SERRANO PEPPERS
- 1/2 CUP NO SODIUM ADDED TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 TEASPOON CUMIN
- 1/2 TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER
- 1/2 TEASPOON PEPPER
- 3 CUPS NO SALT ADDED SODIUM CHICKEN STOCK OR BROTH (HOMEMADE IS BEST)
- 1 CUP FROZEN PEAS AND CARROTS MIX, OPTIONAL
- CANOLA OIL OR OLIVE OIL
In a large pan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil to medium heat.
Add the pasta and cook for a few minutes, until pasta starts to toast up.
Add the onions and garlic and cook for another minute.
Add all of the remaining ingredients; stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil, lower heat.
Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring once.
Once most of the broth has evaporated, add an even layer of the peas and carrots; cover and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand for 5 or 6 minutes.
Yields up to 6 servings.