- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, or oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and fennel and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, italian seasoning, bay leaf, paprika, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer until until it thickens, about 5 minutes, and then mix in the basil and remove from heat.
Option: Cover and simmer for longer to develop more flavour.
Option: Add one 2 inch piece of parmesan rind to the sauce while it simmers.Nutrition Facts: Calories 178, Fat 7g (Saturated 0.5g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 0, Sodium 346mg, Carbs 26g (Fiber 6g, Sugars 14g), Protein 5g