Back to Top
- 30 blanched almonds
- 240 g/ 8.5 oz/ about 4 cups desiccated coconut, unsweetened
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 400 g/ 14 oz
- Start by roasting the almonds. Place the almonds in a large pan without the addition of any fat and roast shaking the pan often until the almonds are golden on both sides. Don’t leave them unattended, this will only take a few minutes and you don’t want them to get burned.
- Immediately transfer the roasted almonds to a plate and let them cool.
- Place 200 g/ 7 oz/ 3 1/3 cups of the desiccated coconut in a bowl. Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir well. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes, so that the milk will be completely absorbed by the shredded coconut.
- Line a large platter/plate with some baking paper. Place the remaining desiccated coconut in a shallow bowl or a plate.
- Start rolling the coconut balls. Do that with slightly wet hands, it really works much better. Take a small amount of the coconut mixture in your hand, flatten it, place a roasted almond in the middle and roll the ball. The truffle should be more or less the size of a larger cherry or the size of a real Raffaello.
- Roll the balls into the extra coconut in the bowl and place them on the platter.
- When all the balls are ready, place the platter in the fridge and allow the Raffaellos to firm up. Transfer to an airtight container and keep refrigerated.