Homemade Ham and Bean Soup pairs salty, savory ham with hearty beans to create a simple soup that cooks up fast. Perfect for using leftovers, this soup makes a filling family dinner.
- ▢1 tablespoon olive oil
- ▢1 medium yellow onion diced
- ▢1 large carrot peeled and diced
- ▢2 ribs celery diced small
- ▢3 cloves garlic minced
- ▢1 pound cooked ham shredded
- ▢4 cups chicken stock
- ▢1 teaspoon italiano seasoning
- ▢¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ▢3 15-ounce cans cannellini or great northern beans drained
- ▢Fresh parsley finely chopped, for garnish
- Dutch Oven
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil, add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 3 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds – 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the ham, and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, and season with Italian seasoning and ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, and cook for 5 more minutes. If needed/soup is too thick, add more liquid and simmer for a few more minutes. Taste the soup, and adjust the salt to your preference.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
- Keep the size of the shredded ham pieces small, so that they will fit on your spoon! ½ inch is the perfect size.
- Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 3-5 days, or frozen for longer storage. This soup will freeze well for up to 3 months.
Calories: 213kcal, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 60mg, Sodium: 1135mg, Potassium: 503mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 2076IU, Vitamin C: 21mg, Calcium: 32mg, Iron: 1mg