- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- ½ cup carrot peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour use gluten free AP flour to make it GF
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 pound chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley optional
- Dutch Oven
- In a dutch oven, over medium high heat. Heat olive oil and melt the butter.
- Add onion, carrot and celery, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour chicken stock, add the chicken breasts, bay leaf, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook uncovered while stirring regularly for 15 minutes (you don’t want the rice to stick to the bottom of the pot).
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaf, take the chicken out (and make sure it reaches 165°F/74°C) and shred it then return it.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasonings to your preference. If using fresh parsley, stir it in. For freshness, you can stir in 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
Use thighs instead of breasts to give this soup an extra rich flavor. Chop them or shred them after cooking.