This ultra comforting beef barley soup recipe is made easy in the slow cooker, which makes for incredibly tender beef and vegetables with perfectly textured barley!
- ▢1.5 lbs beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
- ▢1 – 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces (Yukon gold or russets are preferred)
- ▢2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- ▢1 medium yellow or sweet onion, peeled and diced
- ▢2 ribs celery, sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces
- ▢4 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ▢2 Tbsp better than bouillon beef base (optional but recommended)
- ▢2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ▢1/2 tsp kosher salt
- ▢1/4 tsp black pepper
- ▢2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ▢2 bay leaves
- ▢6 cups beef broth or stock reduced sodium
- ▢2/3 cup pearl barley
- If desired, heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over MED HIGH heat. Add beef cubes and brown for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Add beef and all remaining ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme stems and serve.