It’s been a while since I’ve had homemade cajun style shrimp creole. I absolutely love the stuff. I swear It’s amazing, especially when it’s served with hot steamed rice and cornbread…. LAWD HAVE MERCY!! It’s almost like a shrimp gumbo, but without the roux. It is truly one of my favorite southern dishes. It must be some of your favorite dishes as well, because I’ve been getting a TON of request for it. So in this post, I’m going to show & tell you how I make my homemade Shrimp & Sausage Creole.
My version of shrimp & sausage creole is simple. I don’t use any fancy ingredients. I just use the basic stuff. The only ” fancy” thing about this recipe are the tomatoes that I use. I like to use Heavenly Villagio Marzano Tomatoes, as well as Zima tomatoes. Why? because I LOVE the sweetness of the tomatoes… If you have a different tomato that you’d like to use feel free to use it.
- 2 cans (14 oz (420 ml) each) stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 pound (120 g) reduced-fat smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound (240 g) fresh sliced okra
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt, to taste
- 3 cups (750 ml) cooked rice, warm
In 6-quart (6 l) slow cooker, combine all ingredients, except okra, shrimp, salt, and rice. Mix well.
Close cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6-7 hours, adding okra during last 30 minutes and shrimp during last 10 minutes.
Turn off slow cooker. Serve shrimp and sausage mixture with salt. Serve over cooked warm rice