- ▢2-3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- ▢1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- ▢2 cloves garlic minced
- ▢1 onion diced
- ▢2 carrots chopped
- ▢1 cup potatoes small dice
- ▢2 stalks of celery chopped
- ▢kosher salt
- ▢Freshly ground black pepper
- ▢¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ▢2 ½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ▢¼ cup heavy cream or half and half
- ▢1.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into ½-inch dice
- ▢1 cup frozen peas
- ▢½ cup frozen corn
- ▢2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ▢1 package biscuits
- ▢1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, place olive oil and add thyme, garlic, potatoes, celery, carrots and onions. Stir with a wooden spoon until the vegetables soften, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then add flour. Continuously whisk until flour is cooked and well incorporated. Slowly stir in the broth and cream until mixture is smooth.
- Add chicken and bring to a boil; simmer until thickened about 5 minutes. Stir in frozen peas, corn and parsley. Top with biscuits in an even layer, brush tops with egg wash.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Substitute milk for the cream to save a few calories.
- If biscuits start to get too brown on top, place a sheet of foil over them until pot pie is done baking.
- Don’t be afraid to make this your own, use the ingredients and seasoning that you prefer!
- You can use any leftover meat for this skillet pot pie. Things like:
- Leftover turkey
- Leftover beef
- Pork that is leftover
- Leftover chicken
- Or, just make this into a savory vegetable pot pie using things like:
- Sweet potatoes
- Other root vegetables
Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 158mg | Potassium: 815mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4460IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3.7mg