Decrease Serving5Increase ServingAdjustOriginal recipe yields 5 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 3 cups peeled and mashed baked potatoes
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground multi-colored peppercorns
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, or as need for frying.
- Step 1Pour potatoes, onion, garlic, salt, ground peppercorns, flour, and eggs into a bowl, respectively. Fold mixture together with a rubber spatula until ingredients are well coated with egg and garlic, salt, and pepper are evenly mixed throughout. Break up any large potato chunks.
- Step 2Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Step 3Form latke dough into baseball-size balls and flatten into 1-inch thick rounds.
- Step 4Working in batches, place latkes in hot oil and cook until edges are a rich brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip latkes using a slotted spoon and cook until crisp and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.