- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 15 ounces sloppy joe sauce or 1 batch homemade sauce
- 6 pieces frozen Texas toast
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a skillet, cook beef and onion until no pink remains. Drain fat.
Add sloppy joe sauce and simmer 5-7 minutes.
Place frozen Texas toast slices on a large baking sheet. Bake in oven for about 5 minutes or until golden.
Divide the sloppy joe mixture over the toasted bread and top with cheese.
Bake 5 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
- Alternately, after cheese is added to the sloppy joe mixture, broil for 1 minute until cheese is melted.
- Try rubbing a clove of garlic over the baked bread before adding the sloppy joe mixture for a delicious flavor.
- Refrigerate leftover sloppy joe mixture separate from the toast.
- Reheat sloppy joe mixture on the stovetop and repeat from step 4 for a quick lunch or dinner.
nutrition informationCalories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 333mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 2mg