Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies – make these classic shortbread cookies with red bits of Maraschino cherries, and you will get a beautiful Christmas dessert. These colorful Christmas cookies are the simplest recipe to follow, and a sweet way to celebrate with your family!
- 1 cup unsalted butter- room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherries-chopped(spread cherries on paper towel to drain well or you can use candied maraschino cherries)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Mix flour and salt, set aside.
- Cream 1 cup unsalted softened butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, mix in vanilla.
- Add flour and salt mixture and mix until it starts forming larger clumps.
- Mix in chocolate chips and maraschino cherries.
- Form the dough into the log and press it well or it will crumble when you slice the cookies (the log should be about 2 inch thick) Wrap it in the plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the log into 1/4 or 1/3 inch thick slices (if the slices crumbles, press it back together with your hands) and place them onto baking sheet with one inch of space between.
- Bake the cookies 10– 15 minutes (until they just start to turn lightly golden brown on top)
- Let them cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet before transfer them to a rack to cool completely.