Back to Top
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (should come with two crusts per package)
- 5–6 apples, cored, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-inch slices (approx 8–10 cups total)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 Tablespoon milk
- Coarse sugar (or regular sugar)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Stir apples, lemon juice, flour, all of the spices, sugar, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Place one of the refrigerated pie crusts into the bottom of a pie dish and spoon the apple filling inside, making sure to get a spoonful of leftover juices as well. Place the cold butter cubes on top of the filling.
- Carefully lay the other crust over the filling. Trim the excess crust from around the edges. Cut slits in the top to form steam vents. Crimp the edges to seal.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg/milk mixture. Sprinkle the top with coarse sugar.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Keeping the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 375°F and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool for 2-3 hours at room temperature before serving. This time allows the filling to thicken up.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.