- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound stewing beef (such as chuck), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, diced or sliced
- 1 pound mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry thyme)
- 2 teaspoons paprika*
- 2 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill (optional)*
- 1/2 pound egg noodles (gluten-free fort gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, season the beef with salt and pepper to taste, add to the pan and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 5-8 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids, the liquids have cooked off and the mushroom start to caramelize and turn light golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and paprika, sprinkle on the flour and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan into the sauce with a wooden spoon.
- Add the mustard, worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, and dill and either bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is fall apart in your mouth tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Add the egg noodles, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the noodles are cooked, about 5-8 minutes, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, removing from the heat and mixing in the sour cream.
Slow Cooker: Optionally skip steps 1-4 and just place everything in the slow cooker (except the sour cream) and cook as directed, for a quicker version.
Option: Start by cooking 4 strips bacon cut into 1 inch pieces and use the bacon grease to cook the steak and veggies in instead of oil and butter adding the bacon back into the sauce near the end!
Option: I like smoked hot paprika for this but your favourite type of paprika will work!
Option: I like dried dill in this but it is a none standard ingredient so feel free to omit it.
Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes with the garlic for a bit of heat.
Option: Add small onions in addition to the diced onion for even more onion flavour!
Option: Instead of the fish sauce use 1-2 tablespoons white miso paste.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste to the sauce.
Option: Add 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) for an even more flavourful sauce!
Option: Serve topped with cheese and melt it under theNutrition Facts: Calories 322, Fat 10g (Saturated 3g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 74mg, Sodium 743mg, Carbs 18.9g (Fiber 3g, Sugars 5g), Protein 33.2g