- 2 T. shortening
- 3 T sugar
- 1 c. hot water
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast (I used instant with great results)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 ¼ c. flour (Plus ½ c. more if you need it-I did)
- 2 T. melted butter
- In a large bowl, whisk the shortening, sugar, and hot water.
- Let cool to lukewarm, and mix in the yeast until dissolved.
- Mix in the egg, salt, and flour.
- Place in oiled bowl and let rise 1 hour until doubled-I used proof setting on my oven. I sprayed plastic wrap with pam and covered bowl.
- Grease 8 inch cake pan.
- Divide the dough into balls on a floured service and place in pan. (They will be very sticky! Add only enough flour to work with it, you don’t want to add too much.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a roll comes out clean.
- Brush with melted butter and a sprinkle of kosher salt. (or pink himalayan salt!)