Back to Top
- 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. unsalted butter (3 sticks)
- 6-9 tbsp. ice cold water
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt.
- Cut butter into tablespoons. Add to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into pea-size pieces.
- Add 6 tablespoons of water, using a fork, mix until combined. If too dry, continue adding water until the crust comes together and is clumpy. It should be shaggy and slightly dry.
- Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough into itself (kneading lightly) until it comes together. Form it into a ball and divide into two. Pat into flat discs and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 13-inch circle. Place into a 9-inch pie dish. Flute the edges and dock the bottom of the crust with a fork.
- To blind bake the crust, line with parchment paper or foil, and fill with pie weights, beans, or rice.
- Refrigerate crust for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 60 minutes, then remove the foil and beans and continue baking for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the bottom is fully baked through.
- Let cool completely before filling.