- 2 rounds pie dough
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
FOR THE FILLING
- 3/4 cup +2 tbsp Strawberry Jam – we like Crofter’s Organic Seedless Strawberry Premium Spread
FOR THE GLAZE
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter – we like Smooth Operator® peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk – depending on desired thickness
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Roll out each round of dough to 9×15-inch rectangle, about 1/8-inch thick. Using a sharp knife or pizza/pastry wheel, trim the edges so that they are straight, then cut into nine 3×5-inch rectangles. Transfer the rectangles to two parchment (or baking mat) lined baking sheets.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and cream. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash on nine of the rectangles, then spoon a tablespoon and a half of strawberry spread into the center of each rectangle, leaving a 1/4-inch of space around the edges.
- Place a second rectangle of dough on top of the nine assembled ones. Using your fingers, press around the edges of the dough. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the pop tart. Brush with egg wash. Using a toothpick, prick 8 holes in the tops of the pop tarts.
- Place baking sheets in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place in the oven and bake for 28 to 32 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow the pop tarts to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely (or until barely warm).
- Meanwhile, to make the glaze, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, vanilla, milk and powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Spread over the pop tarts, top with sprinkles, if desired. Allow the glaze to set before enjoying.
– These can be frozen (for up to 2 months) and thawed in a lunch box so that they’re ready to go at lunch time!
Serving: 9g | Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 121mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg