- 3 – 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced into ½” – 1” pieces (about 1.5 lbs. or 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp, cooled and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2.5 qt. casserole dish or a 9″ square baking pan.
- Parboil potatoes: Add potatoes to a large saucepan and enough water to cover. Add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly, and boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Spread half of the parboiled potatoes in bottom of prepared pan. Place the diced chicken breasts evenly on top. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half the bacon crumbles, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and half the green onions. Spread the remaining diced potatoes on top, followed by the remaining bacon, another 1/2 cup cheese, remaining green onions and another 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Pour heavy cream over top of casserole and then dot with the butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. In the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until melted. Serve.
This is not a low-FODMAP recipe, but to make it low-FODMAP, you can substitute with lactose-free heavy cream and use only the green parts of the green onions.