Marinated skirt steak, threaded onto skewers and grilled, becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious, with wonderful caramelized bits!
SERVINGS6 to 8 servings
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1-inch piece ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of membranes and silver skin
- Olive oil for grill grates
- Soak the skewers in water:If using bamboo or wooden skewers, place them in a dish and cover with water to soak.
- Make marinade:Place all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut skirt steak in strips across the grain:Lay the skirt steak horizontally out on a cutting board. Notice the grain of the steak that goes up and down.Cut the steak into segments (along the grain of the meat), about 6 to 8-inches long.Then, with each segment, turn the segment so the grain of the meat runs in a line from left to right, and cut thin strips (1/4 to 1/3-inch thick, 1 1/2-inch wide, 6 to 8-inches long), angling the knife, cutting across the grain.
- Marinate the steak slices:Place the steak slices in a non-reactive bowl or casserole dish. Toss with the marinade to coat. Chill and marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill, thread skewers:Preheat your grill, whether charcoal or gas, for high-direct heat. While the grill is preheating, thread the marinated skirt steak strips onto your pre-soaked skewers.
- Grill over high direct heat:When ready to grill, brush the grill grates with olive oil (helps to fold a paper towel, soak the towel in olive oil, and use long handled tongs to hold the soaked paper towel and spread oil on the grates).You know your grill is hot enough when you can only stand to hold your hand 1 inch above the grill grates for one second.Working in batches if necessary, lay the skirt steak skewers on the hot grill grates, perpendicular to the grates. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.Remove from grill and let sit for a few minutes before serving.