For decades I called this my birthday salad. Every year for as long as I can remember that is when we served it. My mother’s recipe was enough different than mine that I can call it my own, but I can’t make this without thinking of her. Thanks, mama!
- 3 c elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 box baby peas, frozen (about 3 cups)
- 1 can solid white tuna packed in water (large family size can)
- 5 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 – 4 celery stalks
- 1 c real mayonaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
2. Place frozen peas in a colander and run warm water over them to thaw; then drain well.
3. When macaroni is done, rinse well in cold water to cool.
4. Place all ingredients in a very large mixing bowl. Mix well.
5. Chill, then serve.