- 2 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 3-4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine (or more broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 heads of garlic, with the tops removed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Brown the beef in a large, oven-safe, sauce pan over medium-high heat, about 3-4 minutes per side, and set aside before draining off all but 2 tablespoons of the grease.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, wine, tomato paste, heads of garlic, balsamic vinegar, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and beef, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer unto the beef is fall apart tender, about 2-3 hours. (Option: Transfer the pot to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until fall apart tender, about 2-3 hours. OR Transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.)
- Remove the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over mashed potatoes , or mashed celery root mashed parsnips, pasta, etc. with bread to soak up all the tasty sauce. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the heads of garlic and enjoy!
Option: Thicken the broth by adding 1/4 cup flour along with the garlic.
Option: Add bacon!
Option: Add 1/3 cup chopped prunes along with the broth!
Option: If the broth is a little acidic add some honey.
Option: Skim off any excess fat before serving.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.Nutrition Facts: Calories 738, Fat 55g (Saturated 23g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 114mg, Sodium 401mg, Carbs 18g (Fiber 2g, Sugars 6g), Protein 27g