- 4-6 pieces of chicken (legs or breasts with skin removed if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 large pepper chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (400 grams with juice nothing else added)
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1-2 dashes hot pepper flakes if desired
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken with paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil, add the chicken and cook until browned on one side, flip the chicken over and move to one side of the frying pan. Then add the chopped onion and garlic, cook until onion is translucent then add the pepper, tomatoes, water, bay leaf, oregano, basil, hot pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil.
- Simmer until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes (cover and simmer for 20 minutes then remove lid for the rest of the cooking time, stir occasionally, after about 30 minutes taste for salt and add if necessary). Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 296mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1050IU | Vitamin C: 49.8mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1.4mg