– 32 oz. frozen hash browns, thawed*
1 stick butter, melted
– 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup, (cream of cheddar works too)
16 oz. sour cream
– 1 small onion, finely diced
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
– 1/3 teaspoon pepper
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Ensure that your hash browns have thawed. (Otherwise they take a very long time to bake.) You can defrost them in the microwave to speed up this process.
– Pat them dry of excess water.
Set ½ cup of cheddar cheese aside.
– Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Place it in a greased 9×13 casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
– Bake for 35 minutes, uncovered.
Increase heat to 375 and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the top begins to crisp and brown slightly.
– Remove from the oven, let it sit for 10 minutes, and serve!