Back to Top
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix (plus oil, eggs & water as directed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 15 regular-sized marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 oz. sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Combine the ingredients for the cake mix, adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch baking pans. The layers will be thin.
- Bake at 350º for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for ten minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Make the filling by combining sugar and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add vanilla, coconut, and marshmallows and boil over medium heat for five minutes. Let cool slightly and spread between cake layers.
- Combine the frosting ingredients (butter, evaporated milk, 2 cups sugar, and semi-sweet morsels) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool until spreading consistency. The frosting will harden as it cools. Frost top and sides of the cake.