- 2 sticks (226g) butter, melted
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs, one egg for bottom cake layer THEN two eggs for filling layer
- 1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (31g) cocoa powder
- 16 ounces confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 convection) and prepare and 9-inch by 3-inch round cake pan OR 9-inch x13-inch dish. (I have heard bundt pans work as well!)
- Combine the cake mix, 1 egg (you will use the other two eggs elsewhere), and 1 stick melted butter (1/2 cup or 113g), and stir until well blended.
- Pat the mixture into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer on medium speed (or using a hand-held mixer), beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and the cocoa powder.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the powdered sugar. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick (1/2 cup) of melted butter. Add vanilla and continue to beat the mixture until smooth.
- Pour filling over cake mixture in pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. (check at 30 minutes with 9×13) Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.