This Chocolate Espresso Pound Cake is a rich, moist chocolate pound cake recipe topped with silky chocolate espresso ganache!
Italian Cream Cake Recipe is a total special occasion cake! This is a classic that everyone loves!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature*, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 (8- ounce) blocks cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, plus more for garnish, if desired
- Cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 3, 9- inch round cake pans with baking spray. Cut 3 parchment rounds to fit in the bottoms of the pans. Place the parchment in the pan and coat again with baking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the oil, butter, and sugar together on medium speed until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in almond extract, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix for 30 more seconds or until combined.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour and buttermilk in alternating additions, beginning and ending with flour. Mix until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the coconut and pecans. Set batter aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl combine the egg whites and the cream of tartar. Using the whisk attachment on your mixer beat the egg whites for 6-7 minutes on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake batter until evenly combined. Divide the batter between the 3 cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frosting: In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and slowly add in the powdered sugar until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in the vanilla extract, almond extract, and chopped pecans and turn the mixer up to medium and mix until smooth and creamy for 1 minute.
- Assembly: Place one cake on a cake plate and cover the top of the cake with a heaping cup of the frosting and spread evenly. Top with another cake and repeat. Top with the remaining cake layer and frost the cake with the remaining frosting, smoothing with an off-set spatula. Garnish with more chopped pecans if desired.
*Make sure your eggs are room temperature to ensure maximum volume when beating the egg whites.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days