If you love this Chicken Pot Pie, then you won’t want to miss these family-favorite chicken recipes.
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is homey, cozy and will warm you up. It has a homemade flaky Pie Crust and is loaded with juicy chicken in gravy and vegetables. If you’ve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, this will impress everyone.
- 1 homemade pie crust (2 disks)
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded*
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, (1 cup chopped)
- 2 medium carrots, (1 cup) thinly sliced
- 8 oz white or brown mushrooms, (stems discarded), sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp salt , plus kosher salt to garnish
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, plus more to garnish
- 1 cup frozen peas, do not thaw
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped, plus more to garnish
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- In a dutch oven or pot, melt 6 Tbsp butter. Add diced onions and carrots and saute 8 minutes over medium heat until soft.
- Add sliced mushrooms and minced garlic and saute another 5 minutes until mushrooms are softened.
- Add 1/3 cup flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, and 1/2 cup heavy cream then bring to a simmer and cook 1 minute or until mixture is a thick gravy consistency. Add 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, or season to taste. It should be well-seasoned.
- Add shredded cooked chicken, frozen peas, and 1/4 cup parsley. Stir to combine then remove from heat and cool slightly while you roll out the crusts. Roll 1 chilled pie crust disk into a 12” diameter circle. Carefully transfer it into a 9” pie dish. Spoon the pie filling over the bottom crust.
- Roll the second disk of pie dough into a 10” diameter circle and place over the pie filling. Fold the excess dough behind the bottom crust then crimp the pie crusts together to seal. Use a sharp paring knife to cut 5 small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Brush the top of the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle lightly with coarse salt and pepper.
- Bake at 425˚F for 30-35 minutes or until top crust is golden brown. If edges are browning too fast, cover with a pie shield or make a shield by cutting a 4” diameter circle from the center of a sheet of foil and placing that over the pie. Once out of the oven, rest for 15 minutes to cool slightly before slicing.
*Use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken (light or dark meat), or cook and shred 2 large chicken breasts to get 4 cups shredded chicken.