The secret to this juicy and tender Country Fried Chicken lies in the simple buttermilk marinade with a hint of thyme. Learn how to make country fried chicken with a crispy breading from the comfort of your own home, in no time at all.
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in half if large breasts or cut into nuggets)
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* Oil for frying
* Place chicken pieces in a large resealable food storage bag. Add all marinade ingredients and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight to marinate.
* In pie pan, mix flour and all remaining chicken ingredients except oil. Heat about 1/2 inch oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
* Remove chicken pieces from marinade a few at a time, allowing excess to drip off. Roll chicken in flour mixture until well coated. Add chicken to hot oil in skillet, a few pieces at a time until all pieces are in skillet. Cover; cook over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until deep golden brown. Discard marinade.
* Uncover skillet. Turn chicken; cook 5 to 8 minutes longer or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs). Drain chicken on several layers of paper towels. Serve warm, or refrigerate and serve cold.