- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded (about 5 cups)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef mixture to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in cabbage, carrot, salt, pepper, broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Cook, covered, on low 6 hours.
- Stir in corn and barley; turn up to high and cook until barley is tender, about 1 hour.
1-1/3 cups: 239 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1372mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.