- 3 red bell peppers (or shepherd peppers), cut in half and seeds/stems removed
- 1 small red onion, quarted
- 2-4 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (whole, diced, crushed or pureed)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450F/230C.
- Place the peppers, onion wedges and whole cloves of garlic on a baking sheet with the cut side of the peppers facing down.
- Place the baking sheet on the top shelf in the oven and broil until the skin of the peppers has blackened, about 10 minutes. *
- Place the peppers in a zip-lock bag or other sealable container, seal and let them cool until you can handle them, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the peppers, by pinching them off.
- Place everything in a food processor and process until smooth.
Tip: Watch while broiling, if the onions or garlic get too dark before the red peppers skins blacken, remove them from the sheet and continue roasting the peppers.
Option: Roast other veggies, like zucchini, along with the red peppers to make for an even heartier sauce!
Option: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for heat.
Option: Add a pinch of smoked paprika for smokiness.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese!
Option: Add 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon fresh basil!
Note: Store in the fridge and use within 3-5 days, or use proper canning procedures to store for longer.Nutrition Facts: Calories 88, Fat 3g (Saturated 0.5g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 0, Sodium 410mg, Carbs 12g (Fiber 4g, Sugars 7g), Protein 2g