Jolean’s Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole Prep time: 20 minsCook time: 35 minsTotal time: 55 minsIngredients
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool
- 4 Tbs butter
- 4 Tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage (ham or hot dogs will work too)
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut sausage in half, lengthwise, and chop into bite size pieces.
- Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked potatoes in a 2 qt casserole dish. Add cooked meat and toss.
- Mix remaining ingredients (minus the cheddar cheese & paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, creating a roux). Cook until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Use a whisk and stir constantly.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and meat and gently mix until incorporated.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown on top.