Back to Top
- 3 ½ lbs. Thinly sliced onions
- 2 Tbsp. Butter unsalted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 C. Beef broth
- ¼ C. Balsamic vinegar
- 8 Slices of baguette bread
- 2 C. Shredded gruyere cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to saute, and add in the butter until it is melted.
- Once heated, add the onions to the melted butter, and toss to coat them well.
- Cook the onions down on the saute function for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Mix in the fresh thyme, balsamic vinegar and beef broth.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and be sure the release valve is set to the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook on manual setting for 20 minutes. Once it is finished, allow a slow release for 10 minutes before moving the release valve to the venting position to allow the additional pressure to release.
- Set the Instant Pot back to the saute function, and saute for roughly 10 minutes until some of the liquid is cooked down, and the soup begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to the broil setting.
- Place 8 slices of baguette bread on a baking sheet, and top with some of the shredded cheese.
- Broil the cheese bread until browned.
- Top each bowl of french onion soup with a piece of cheese bread, and some of the remaining shredded cheese.