Back to Top
- 16 oz. raw hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp. hazelnut oil – walnut or pecan oil
- 12 oz. chocolate – chopped (I used 6 oz. milk, 6 oz. semisweet)
- ⅓ c. powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. kosher sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, place in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes or until the skins begin to darken (but not burn). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the skins.
- To remove the skins, rub with a clean dry kitchen towel OR use two metal bowls (that are the same size) and shake the hazelnuts vigorously inside (this process can take several minutes).
- Place the hazelnuts into a large food processor or high speed blender (like a Vitamix, Ninja or Blendtec), and grind for 1 minute. Add oil and grind for an additional minute.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate until smooth. Pour into food processor along with powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sea salt. Blend for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Allow to cool completely before storing.
- If you prefer a sweeter spread, you can add ½ cup of powdered sugar instead of ⅓ cup.