- 1 ham bone I leave meat on the bone while it cooks
- 4-5 cups leftover ham
- 2 cups dry navy beans
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dry
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 1 tbsp. dry
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8-9 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil for sautéing vegetables
- Prepare dried beans by soaking them in cold water for 8-10 hours, then drain and rinse. (I do this the night before).
- In large pan heat oil and sauté celery, carrots, onions and garlic until tender.
- Add chicken stock, ham bone and ham. Transfer to larger pot if necessary.
- Add beans, parsley, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 2-3 hours.
- Chop up large pieces of ham before serving
This recipe also work well in a slow cooker 6-8 hours on low.
RECIPE CREDIT: artandthekitchen.com