Back to Top
- 1 1/4 lbs ripe Roma tomatoes* (about 5 – 6)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes**
- 2 green onions,*** ends trimmed, chopped into thirds
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (about 1/4 of a medium)
- 1 jalapeno pepper,**** seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (about a handful)
- 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse in 1 second bursts until all ingredients are finely chopped.
- Serve with tortilla chips. Note that salsa always tastes best after it’s been refrigerated for a few hours, so if time allows let the flavors marinate together before serving.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- *Use best quality tomatoes or salsa will be lacking in flavor.
- **Canned diced tomatoes with mild green chilis, or canned fire roasted tomatoes also work great as well.
- **For a slightly stronger onion flavor you can just omit green onions and use about 3/4 cup red onion (or 1/2 of a medium onion).
- Sometimes I like to substitute a few canned chipotle peppers with some adobo sauce for the jalapeno. This is a spicier option.
- Another tasty addition is to include 1/2 bell pepper, or 1 poblano or Anaheim pepper.
- For a thinner salsa, you can add in a bit of tomato juice or tomato sauce if desired.