- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chilled butter or vegetable shortening
- 1 – 1 ¼ cup cold buttermilk
- melted butter or heavy cream to brush the tops
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cube the butter or shortening then cut it into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or pulse in a food processor. Cut until it becomes crumbly and resembles peas.
- Mix in 1 cup cold buttermilk, just until the crumbs are thoroughly moistened. Add up to ¼ cup additional buttermilk, if needed. The dough shouldn’t be overly wet but, slightly sticky.
- Roll or pat out on a lightly floured surface about ¾-1 inch thick. Cut into rounds using a 2-inch cookie cutter dipped in flour. Do not twist the dough with the cutter. Cut the dough, then lift the cookie cutter up.
- Place biscuits 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter or heavy cream. Bake at 450°F for 13-15 minutes until lightly golden and puffed.
- Brush with melted butter after removing from the oven. Serve immediately.
Whole fat or low fat buttermilk preferred, not fat free.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 570mg | Potassium: 320mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 495IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 2mg