This Homemade Lemon Curd takes 5 minutes to prep and 10 minutes of cooking time, and it’s made with just 5 ingredients. It’s deliciously creamy, sweet, and tangy, and it’s great on pancakes, scones, cake filling, crepes, Pavlovas, mousse, and so much more!!
- 1 stick real butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Dash of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, about 4 large lemons
- Zest the lemons, making sure to remove the yellow zest only, not the white pith. Set aside. Cut the lemons in half and juice them, reserving 1/2 cup of lemon juice and set aside.
- Cream the butter in the large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer. Add the sugar, salt & zest and mix well.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl, using a spoon to remove the Chalaza from each egg yolk. (See notes below for more information on the Chalaza). Add the eggs one at a time to the mixing bowl, mixing well after each addition. Add the lemon juice and salt and mix to combine.
- Add the mixture to a medium saucepan. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon lemon curd into a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the curd to prevent a skim from forming on top. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Yield: 2 cups.