- 1 3/4 cups (250g) unbleached all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (18g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp (43g) unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
- 1/3 cup grape juice and 1Tbsp of vinegar, then more grape juice as needed
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- Vegetable oil or shortening, for frying (about 8 cups)
- 32 oz. whole milk ricotta, strained
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup (126g) mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Chopped unsalted pistachios, optional
For the Cannoli Shells
1 ) To a food processor add flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse in short bursts about 10 times. Add butter and pulse in short bursts just until there aren’t clumps of butter.
2 ) Add in grape juice and whole egg. Pulse to mix well while adding additional grape juice to bring the dough together in a soft shaggy mass (you shouldn’t need more than a few Tbsp extra grape juice).
3 ) Shape into a round, transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
4 ) Heat a large pot with 1 1/2-inches vegetable oil to 345 – 355 degrees. Working with half the dough at a time (and keeping the other half covered in the bowl) roll the dough out very thinly onto a well-floured surface (nearly 1/16-inch).