These indulgent Chocolate Covered Cherries are quick and easy to make with maraschino cherries and melted chocolate! They’re a great everyday treat or perfect for the holiday table!
These indulgent Chocolate Covered Cherries are quick and easy to make with maraschino cherries and melted chocolate! They’re a great everyday treat or Valentine’s Day dessert.
These chocolate covered cherries are made with 6 simple ingredients. They come together quickly, and you don’t even have to touch your stove or oven! I love throwing these together for special treats!
First, the cherries are coated in a 4-ingredient sugar paste. This adds more flavor and allows the chocolate to stick to the cherries with ease. Then, all you have to do is dip them in the melted chocolate and chill them in the fridge! It couldn’t be easier to make these decadent chocolate cherries.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- 2 (8- ounce) jars maraschino cherries, drained and dried
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, butter, condensed milk and vanilla extract. Using your hands, knead until it forms a thick paste. Refrigerate for an hour, or until firm and cold.
- Make sure the cherries are well drained and pat them dry. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- When the mixture is firm, scoop out about 2 teaspoons and form it around each cherry, placing them on the prepared baking sheet. I find that rolling the mixture into a ball and then flattening it into a disk is the easiest way to cover the cherry.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least an hour until firm.
- When ready to assemble, melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
- Remove the cherries from the fridge and dip into the melted chocolate, placing back on the lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the cherries for about an hour until the chocolate is set and firm.
Store airtight in a cool, dry place, or the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
I like to drain the cherries and lay them out on a paper towel to dry out while the sugar mixture is chilling. The sugar paste adheres much easier to dry cherries. If your cherries are wet, you will have a mess and it will be difficult to work with.