This Chicken Frangelico is an easy but elegant weeknight dinner with stuffed chicken breasts, mushrooms, and potatoes in a Frangelico pan sauce.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (pounded thin)
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 12 tbsp herbed goat cheese, softened
- 6 thin slices of prosciutto, serrano or pancetta
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
- All purpose flour (about 1 cup for dredging)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Frangelico liqueur
- 3 tbsp good quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 10 red potatoes, quartered
- sea salt (or truffle salt)
- olive oil
- Black pepper, freshly cracked
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Toss potatoes in olive oil in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper. I absolutely love truffle flavored salt and highly recommend it. Roast potatoes in the oven for about an hour or until soft. Turn them occasionally so they don’t stick to the pan.
- Carefully pound the chicken in between sheets of wax paper until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Be sure not to over pound or it will fall apart. Season with salt and pepper. Take one breast half at a time and spread one side evenly with goat cheese and top with a slice of prosciutto. Make sure any excess fat on the prosciutto is removed. Roll into a tight cylinder and tie the ends (about 1 inch from each end) with kitchen twine. Remove excess twine.
- Heat 3 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms in batches and saute without stirring for 5 minutes. This will allow them to brown. Be sure not to crowd too many mushrooms in the pan or they will steam not brown. Stir mushrooms and continue cooking until softened and browned (about 7-8 minutes.) Transfer them to a plate and wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- Pour flour on a plate and dredge each chicken “roll” in the flour. Shake off any excess. Heat 2 tbsp. of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning until nicely browned and cooked through (about 14 minutes.) Transfer chicken rolls to a plate.
- Add Frangelico to the skillet and deglaze, scraping off any burned bits from the bottom. Add chicken broth and allow to lightly boil while continuing to stir until sauce has reduced by 1/3. Add balsamic vinegar, chives and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return the mushrooms and chicken to the skillet, cook and turn into sauce until nicely coated and warmed through.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter. Remove skillet from heat and swirl in 2 tbsp of butter into sauce. Spoon over the chicken. and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with roasted potatoes